Cover Letter for Students
A well-drafted cover letter is one of the most essential part in getting a good job in any of the reputed organization for any job profile, as it helps to stand out from the crowd. The main aim of the cover letter is to spotlight on the essential part of the resume in a positive manner. While drafting the cover letter, there are certain points that needs to be taken into consideration, including:
- A cover letter should be short and precise.
- The data entered must be correct and relevant i.e. there should not be any irrelevant data may cause problem in future.
- The cover letter should be error free i.e. there should not be any grammatical mistakes, the sentence construction should be perfect and the spellings should also be correct.
- Avoid use of flowery language, i.e. use simple language for writing the cover letter.
- Cover letter is drafted in a particular format from start to end
There is a particular format for drafting the cover letter i.e. start the cover letter with introduction to the job seeker that includes the name, address, email address and telephone number, followed by the date on which the cover letter is drafted. Then comes the details of the employer/recruiter that includes the name of the employer, their designation, address of the company and name of the company. After that mention the subject of the cover letter i.e. the main purpose of drafting the cover letter, followed by the reference i.e. from where you came to know about this job opening. The reference acts as a job booster in some occasion. Then comes the main body of the cover letter that is again divided into 3 sections:
- The first section states the main purpose of drafting the cover letter and your job responsibilities of current organization in brief. Also show your interest to join the company, thereby requesting to schedule an interview with the recruiter.
- The second section includes your professional and personal details (academic qualification, professional qualification, key skills, present and past experiences, achievements, project details, etc). Do not lengthen the information; it would be boring for the recruiter. Also mention the documents attached with the cover letter for the justification of information.
- The third and last section involves thanking the recruiter for their precious time in going through the cover letter. Mention your contact details along with the email id and telephone number.
In the conclusion, put your signature, followed by your name and the attached document for further reference.
Sample Cover Letter – Job Fair
Dexter K. Hittle,
1803 Jarvisville Road,
Lansing, MI 48933,
Date: October 28, 2011.
Mr. Kenneth S. Prince,
1985 Alpha Avenue,
Mandarin, FL 32223.
Dear Mr. Prince,
I am very thankful to you for taking out time from your busy schedule to meet me in the job fair. According to the job description, I hope that my qualifications and experience suits this profile. I am interested in working with ABC Associates and I am confident that my experience and key skill will help in the growth and success of the company.
I have an experience of 7 years in the field of marketing and currently am working with ZS Associates for 3 years as Marketing Manager. I have a unique problem solving technique and quick and effective decision making ability. I appreciate your patience in going through the cover letter.
Thanks once again for your time and consideration. I am enclosing the resume with this cover letter for further reference.
Thanks and regards
Dexter K. Hittle
- Resume– myresume.doc
- Experience letter from the previous employer
- Last 3 months salary slips, if required.