Cover Letters for Programmer Jobs
Cover letters for programmers' jobs are drafted in order to get a good job in any of the reputed organization for the position of programmer in the field of information technology. In this present scenario, cover letter has become an important need for all job seekers. But many of them do not know the exact purpose of drafting the cover letter and many of them are confused in between resume and cover letter. Let me explain you these terms. A resume is a professional document where you mention your professional and personal information in detail, whereas a cover letter is drafted in order to highlight the essential parts of the resume i.e. your credentials.
Basically, there are 3 sections in a cover letter:
- Section 1: This is the introductory section of the cover letter, where you mention the main objective of the cover letter i.e. the position for which you are applying. It also includes your roles and responsibilities in the current organization. It also conveys your interest and eagerness in joining the organization. Also mention the reference i.e. the source from which you came to know about this job opening.
- Section 2: This is the main section of the cover letter that includes your professional summary, academic qualifications, personal details, skill set, and contact details. Mention the best part of your job experience and try to convince the recruiter that you are the best person for this job profile. Try to mention these information in brief, i.e. do not lengthen it; since your resume contains these details.
- Section 3: This is the third and last section of the cover letter that includes the salutation part i.e. thanking the recruiter for their valuable time in reading the cover letter. Also provide them the proof of your professional experience and skill set by attaching the required document with the cover letter. Remember one thing i.e. do not include wrong information; you could be put in trouble in the near future. Put your signature followed by your name at the end of the cover letter.
Sample Job Application
Jacob T. Dotson,
2795 Stratford Drive,
Honolulu, HI 96814,
Date: October 28, 2011.
Mr. Todd A. Schreiber,
4235 Brown Street,
Walnut Creek, CA 94596,
Dear Mr. Schreiber,
As referred by Mr. Thomas who is a senior software engineer in Alpha Technologies, I am enclosing my resume attached to this cover letter. Over the past 5 years, I am working in this industry. Currently I am working as a programmer in ZS Associates for the past 3 years. I was very glad to hear that there is an opening for the post of senior programmer in your organization. I am very eager to join this organization and use my key skills and experience for the development of the organization. Following are the roles and responsibilities that I undertook in this organization:
- Prepare code for different modules of the project.
- Check the code and run the program.
- Correct the bugs or errors. If they occur, make the necessary changes.
- Check for the connectivity between the source code and the database.
- Update the existing program and check for the software packages.
- Insert comments wherever necessary.
- Create a separate program for the maintenance of the software.
- Compile the code and the final report to be submitted to the higher authority.
I have an excellent academic background, as I have completed Masters in Computer Application (MCA) from California University and Bachelor's in Computer Application (BCA) from the Stanford University. The rest of the details are included in the resume that is enclosed with the cover letter.
Thank for your consideration. I would be waiting for a positive reply.
Jacob T. Dotson,
- Resume– myresume.doc
- Scanned copies of certificate for graduation and post graduation
- Relieving letter from the previous employer
- Last 3 months salary slips, if required