Legal assistants help lawyers, for whom they work, to prepare all the necessary documents related to the case. They save the lawyers’ time by researching the necessary facts, drafting documents and making it readable for presentation in the court room.
Legal assistants work in the law firm. To obtain a job as a legal assistant, you have to send the cover letter with the resume to the firm you want to work with. Follow these guidelines when preparing your legal assistant cover letter:
- Include the necessary contact information in the cover letter, including yours and the readers. This information gives an answer to question—a) who has written the letter and b) to whom
- Include the date of the letter followed by a proper salutation to the reader
- Let the reader know from the first paragraph of your cover letter who you are and why you have written the letter to him/her. This could be your introduction and the reason in applying for the job. Don’t waste the reader’s time in introducing yourself and explaining the reason. This information should not exceed more than two sentences.
- The next paragraph of your legal assistant cover letter should show your suitability for the job. The employers will take the initiative in opening your resume on the basis of this information you have provided in this section. It is accepted that being an experienced candidate, you are tempted to add all the details of your work experience assuming a favorable response from employers. However, it is important to cater to the needs of the employers instead of overwhelming them with unnecessary information.
- After summarizing your experiences, you should include your educational qualifications in the cover letter. If you are pursuing any course at the time of writing the letter, mention it, provided it is relevant to the position.
- The end of the cover letter should either enquire the readers on how and when to contact them for further discussion in a polite manner, or you can convey the step you are going to take in following up this cover letter. But, don’t forget to express your gratitude for the readers’ time.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter
25th Legal Street, Apt. 120
Houston, TX 77098
Phone: (713) XXX-7496 • Email: email@example.com
August 30, 2011
Felix K. Pablo
Attorney at Law
Felix & Felix Law Firm
62 Law Avenue
Houston, TX 77095
I want to convey my interest through this cover letter for the legal assistant’s position in your law firm as advertised in the Sunday Mail. I am a graduate in law from the Texas Law University. I have four years of experience as a legal assistant from two different law firms. My current employer is Fair & Clean Law Firm, Houston, Texas.
My previous experiences include researching legal documents, filing and drafting legal reports, and helping attorney’s in presenting the case in the court room. I have the ability to work under any pressure with least supervision. Being a graduate in law helps in understanding the legal terms and jargons used in the courtroom. I have prepared reports on court hearings and communicated the same to clients in easy and understanding languages.
In my current employment, I am drafting wills, contracts as per clients’ agreements. I am also drafting reports for appeals against any judgment or for closing the case. I am also helping in the yearly annual report preparation for audit work. I am good in using the internet for research work, and I always update my knowledge about sections in the law world through books.
I have a good memory and strong analytic skills. I use my logics in all legal works be it inside or outside the courtroom. All these years of experience and working with reputed firms have developed my skills and knowledge to accept any legal challenges.
Allow me an opportunity to discuss with you in depth. I am confident that you will surely agree with me on the benefits I can bring to your firm through my appointment. Feel free to call me any time to clarify your doubts.
This sample letter introduces the writer in brief and conveys his interest for the position. The letter also includes the past experiences and current responsibilities handled by the writer. It also ends with a confident note in clearing doubts of the employers. Your qualifications and experiences may not match with this legal assistant cover letter. However, you can use it as a template while writing the cover letter.