Actor Cover Letters
In this section you will find sample actor cover letters. Cover letters in this section are focused on actor jobs.
You may feel that an actor does not need a cover letter when applying for a role. Sending you resume alone may be considered as unprofessional. A cover letter should not be generic. It should be customized according the kind of job/role you are applying for. Actor cover letters include the details of role you are applying for, your previous acting experience, your acting skills and details of acting training.
Steps to write actor cover letters is as follows:
- Your address and date should be at the top of cover letter. Mention the detail of the receiver below your details.
- Mention the name of the talent management agent or acting manager and the address of the talent management agency or acting management agency. If you do not know the name of the manager, then research and find out these details as it helps to create a good impression. Those interested in particular acting department need to research and find the name of the manager in the particular department. Addressing the letter to appropriate person will help you to get selected for appropriate role.
- Mention your reference in the cover letter. If a client of the acting academy or a casting director has provided reference, then mention it in your cover letter. It is essential to mention the references as it increases your chances of getting selected for the role. Those applying to an acting management agency need to specify their preference, whether they are interested to work in theatre, television shows or movies. If you are applying for any particular role that requires specific skills, then mention it in your cover letter. Send a copy of your headshot along with your cover letter.
- Mention in your cover letter that you would be interested in representation in television or movies or theatre. Those who have some onscreen or stage experience need to mention it in their cover letter. If you have recently shot for some television show or commercial, then mention its details and when it will be aired on television. If you have stage shows in near future, you can provide the complimentary tickets for the show along with the cover letter. Example: I have recently shot for the XYZ television show that will be aired on Zee Studio at 9:00 pm.
- Newcomers who are just starting their acting career and do not have any acting experience to their credit need to highlight important recent auditions, call backs, details about various workshops you attended and actor showcase. For example: I have attended workshop of XYZ casting agent and received a callback for the "PQR show".
- If you are directly applying for a particular role in a particular project, then address the cover letter to the casting director. Mention name of the role and the project you would like to work in. Provide the details of the skills that you possess that are essential for the role. For example: Mention your singing skills, if you are applying for a role in musical stage show. Provide the details of your martial arts expertise, if you are applying for an action film.
- Thank the acting management agent or casting director when you conclude your cover letter. Provide your contact number and mention that you have attached your resume and head shot along with this cover letter.
- Conclude the cover letter by mentioning "Sincerely" and your name. Do not forget to sign your cover letter. Mention the enclosures such as resume and head shot.
When you are writing actor cover letters, place emphasis on your acting details and clearly mention the kind of role or medium you would like to work in.